Which Family Court do I/we make an application to?

Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Northern Territory
South Australia
Western Australia

The Family Court of Australia & the Federal Circuit Court recently merged

The new merged Court is called the Federal Circuit & Family Court of Australia.

Family Court of Western Australia

Western Australia is unique amongst Australian states in being the only state with its own Family Court.

This may change in the future as we understand there are discussions regarding a future merger with the Family Court of Australia.

If your matter has a nexus (i.e., connection) to Western Australia, then you may make an application to the Family Court of Western Australia.

If you are unsure whether you matter is connected to Western Australia, please contact our legal team to seek legal advice specific to your circumstances.

To provide some general background to what constitutes connection the threshold tests differ for parenting and financial matters.

Parenting Matters

The test for the required connection Western Australia differs depending upon the specific orders being sought.

Financial Matters

The threshold test is specified in s. 205X of the Family Court Act 1997 (WA):

205X. People to whom this Part applies — connection with WA

Despite section 36(5), before making an order under this Division a court must be satisfied —
(a) that one or both of the parties to the application were resident in Western Australia on the day on which the application was made; and
(b) that —
(i) both parties have resided in Western Australia for at least one third of the duration of their de facto relationship; or
(ii) substantial contributions of the kind referred to in section 205ZG(4)(a), (b) or (c) have been made in the State by the applicant.


This FAQ was written by James D. Ford GAICD | Principal Solicitor, Blue Ocean Law Group℠.

Important Notice:

This FAQ is intended for general interest + information only.

It is not legal advice, nor should it be relied upon or used as such.

We recommend you always consult a lawyer for legal advice specifically tailored to your needs & circumstances.