What to do before you buy or sell property in Australia?

Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Northern Territory
South Australia
Western Australia

1️⃣ Verification of Identity for Property Conveyancing Transactions - VOI

You can find our more and consider your preferred options here.

2️⃣ Sign PEXA Confirmation of Authority to Act

The form can be downloaded here.

The ZipID VOI process will provide the PEXA Confirmation of Authority to Act for you to sign at the same time as your VOI.

Our legal team can also assist with the preparation of the PEXA Confirmation of Authority to Act and any queries you have prior to you signing it.

3️⃣ In NSW, you also need to consider whether or not you will be deemed to be a "foreign person"

A buyer of NSW property will generally be considered a foreign person and liable to pay NSW purchaser surcharge duty [8% of the purchase price] unless:

✅ The buyer is an Australian citizen; or

✅ Has lived in Australia for more than 200 days in the 12 months before the purchase date, [+] is either:

⚖️ A New Zealand citizen, who holds a subclass 444 visa; or

⚖️ A permanent resident of Australia.

As well as paying Surcharge Purchaser Duty, foreign persons who own residential land must also pay Surcharge Land Tax.

If the situation is complex, we recommend the purchaser obtain specialist tax advice.

^ Source: LawCover Short Minutes: Surcharge Purchaser Duty


This FAQ was written by James D. Ford GAICD | Principal Solicitor, Blue Ocean Law Group℠.

Important Notice:

This FAQ is intended for general interest + information only.

It is not legal advice, nor should it be relied upon or used as such.

We recommend you always consult a lawyer for legal advice specifically tailored to your needs & circumstances.