We separated. Wait or can we reach financial settlement now?

Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Northern Territory
South Australia
Western Australia

A: No.

A Binding Financial Agreement (BFA) can be entered into before or after the separation of a couple, including before, during, or after marriage or a de facto relationship.

Court Orders can only be applied for and made after the separation of a couple.

There is no prescribed waiting time or need to wait to be officially divorced.


This FAQ was written by James D. Ford GAICD | Principal Solicitor, Blue Ocean Law Group℠.

Important Notice:

This FAQ is intended for general interest + information only.

It is not legal advice, nor should it be relied upon or used as such.

We recommend you always consult a lawyer for legal advice specifically tailored to your needs & circumstances.